TuR&Bo Yearly Event - "Göbekli Tepe: the Land Where the Cultures Meet. From History to Gastronomy"
Time & Location
About The Event
The year 2018, designated by the European Commission as the European Year of Cultural Heritage, is also the year of addition of Göbekli Tepe to the World Heritage List of UNESCO.
Göbekli Tepe, known as the zero point in the history of civilisation, located near Şanlıurfa, is in the Southeast of Turkey, Upper Mesopotamia and almost in the centre of the Fertile Crescent. It is the oldest sanctuary known to humankind, dating back to 12.000 years ago. Göbekli Tepe is the place where the culture of food and gastronomy was born, as it carries the first traces of feasts and food storage.
Turkish Research and Business Organisations aisbl (TuRBo) dedicates its Yearly Event of 2018 to this exceptional place and its history. In a series of events, we want to introduce you to the treasury of experiences related to Göbekli Tepe. We will tell the story of the mankind through the food with a theme inspired by Göbekli Tepe.
Turkey has a rich culture and an ancient history as Anadolu has been the cradle of civilization. During this Yearly Event, the Turkish cuisine will be presented starting from its beginning in Göbekli Tepe until today.
The overall objective of the Event is to encourage the sharing and appreciation of cultural heritage, to raise awareness of our common history and values, and to reinforce a sense of belonging in a common European space including Turkey. The event is foreseen to take place in both European Parliament and TOBB Representative Office in Brussels, where the office of TuR&BO is also located.
Seminar in the European Parliament - room ASP3E-2
Meeting point: Accreditation centre - right side of ASP building. Please, between 8:00 and 8:30 to collect your badge, due to expected crowd at the EP entrance.
08:30-09:30 Registration & Welcome coffee
09:30 – 10:45 Policy Discussion
İsmail ERTUĞ, Member of the European Parliament
Short Film on Göbekli Tepe (Produced by National Geographic)
- Zeki Levent GÜMRÜKÇÜ, Turkish Ambassador to Brussels: “Göbekli Tepe: common origins of Turkish and European civilisations”
- Nedzhmi ALI, Member of the European Parliament
- TuR&Bo Founding Partners’ Presentations:
- Cihat LOKMANOĞLU, TOBB Board Member
- Tuna ŞAHİN, KOSGEB Vice President
- Prof.Dr. Hasan MANDAL, TÜBİTAK President (tbc)
- Bendevi PALANDÖKEN, TESK President
10:45-11:00 Coffee break
11:00 – 12:00 Technical Discussion
- Dr. Lee CLARE, German Archaeological Institute, Göbekli Tepe Project Coordinator (tbc): “Göbekli Tepe- Zero Point in Time: "The greatest adventure of my life and how it will change the world’s perception of history”
Short Film on Gastronomy and Göbekli Tepe (3 mins)
- Nedim ATİLA; Journalist, Art Historian and Gastronomy Researcher: “From Göbekli Tepe to Gastronomy: The first kitchen that made history”
- UNESCO Video Message: ” Why cultural heritage is critical for the modern society: case of Göbekli Tepe!”
Bülent BİLGİÇ, TuR&Bo Director
12:00 - 13:00 Transfer from the European Parliament to TOBB Brussels Representation Building
Festive Gastronomic Exhibition
on occasion of TuR&Bo's Yearly Event 2018 "Göbekli Tepe: The Land Where the Cultures Meet. From History to Gastronomy..."
TuR&Bo Office and Reception Halls in TOBB Representation Office, Avenue de l'Yser 5, Brussels
Time: 13:00 - 17:00
- Cihat LOKMANOĞLU, TOBB Board Member
Gastronomic Exhibitions and Food Shows concept explanation:
- Adnan ŞAHİN, Advisor to our Event and President of Anatolian Folk Cuisine Association
The Festive Gastronomic Exhibition will commence with
“The Largest Dining Table” (“En Büyük Sofra”),
which will showcase the glory of the Anatolian cuisine, providing the selection of dishes and treats specific to the region.
Further on, during this Festive Gastronomic Exhibition you will taste exquisite regional dishes, drinks and desserts from six different food stages, representing historical development of Anatolian cuisines :
- Göbekli Tepe
- Turkish Modern Cuisines
"Barbecue Meat Show" by Cüneyt ASAN, Günaydın Et Kasap Steakhouse
Please, only 1 person per registration form. It is necessary to provide names so that we can prepare badges.
Do not worry if ticket shows only TOBB address even if you indicated "Both" or "EP only" in the form. We have your selection noted!
Registration to the EP event - only until 4th Nov. Persons with EP access badge may also attend.